Saturday, August 31, 2013

Life turned upside down

Yesterday, I was gainfully employed, and living in a great condo in Porter Square. Today, I am "homeless" (in the safest possible way), and unemployed. Now I'm on my way to a bachelor party for the weekend, and when I come back, nothing will be the same. In just over 2 weeks, we leave Massachusetts, and won't be back until April.

As one of our friends says to their one year old when she cries: "so many feelings!"

This may surprise some of you, but I do have feelings. And right now, I'm feeling sad to leave behind so many good friends. It kind of feels like we're letting them down, in a way, by cutting ties or putting relationships on hold for 8 months. The amount of love and support that we've gotten from coworkers, friends, and family is amazing and humbling though.

I'm also way more scared than I thought I would be. We have a very comfortable life, and I am worried we will turn around in 2 months and say "what were we thinking???" (and not in a joking way).

At the same time, I'm still more excited than anything else, and sure that our crazy plan to hike the length of New Zealand is going to turn into the adventure of our lives. But it's still hard to say goodbye.

7 comments:

  1. Joe has feelings! I knew it! :)

    Regular life and friends will be here when you get back, psyched to hear all about your adventure! And many of us are living vicariously through you so you gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me as your Mom I can relate to the mixed bag of feelings.....proud, worried, jealous!!(wish I were going on such an epic adventure..also wish I was brave enough:)). I am already missing you and Liz but I am so excited for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unique and heck of a situation to be in. And only a few could pull it off. Good luck, dude! Kick some ass.

    -adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be right there with you (at least virtually / spiritually), and ready to hear story after story when you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are SO EXCITED FOR YOU! We'll all be here with our non-6-month-adventure lives when you get back :)

    But I'll be sure to record a few Vievasaurus roars for you so you can see the progression. I think part of the trip is wild. When you get back, my child will be almost 50% older. And another one will be born and will be a little better than a blob of "somewhat interactive" person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning on not changing at all, that way your transition back will be that much easier.

    For reals. I've been wearing what you last saw me in for days now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly how I felt when we were leaving for 2 month long trip in Europe last year. So encouraging to know it wasn't just me being silly.

    ReplyDelete